How to remove the hard drive from a Sony Vaio S series laptop.
First make sure that you have the correct tools to take apart the laptop and remove the hard drive. You will need a small Phillips head screwdriver, small Flat head screwdriver, and a pair of tweezers.
1. Always remember to remove the battery before proceeding with taking the laptop apart.
2. Unscrew all of the screws on the bottom of the laptop, which have an arrow pointing to them.
3. Dislodge the keyboard from the laptop chassis by depressing the tabs at the top of the keyboard with a small Flat head screwdriver.
4. Lift up the keyboard and flip up the brown retaining clip to remove the ribbon cable. This will allow the keyboard to be completely removed from the chassis of the laptop.
5. Unplug the ribbon cable attached to the blue tab. This cable is for the touch pad and power button.
6. Use the tweezers to unplug and pull out the speaker cable connector.
7. There are four screws located where the keyboard would normally cover them. These screws will need to be removed before the laptop will come apart.
8. Once the four screws are removed the top part of the chassis will separate from the bottom. Just lift the top part gently, and it should come apart.
9. The hard drive is located in the bottom right corner of the lower part of the chassis. Just unscrew the four screws holding it in place, unplug the SATA cable connecting the hard drive to the main board, and the hard drive is removed.
Hard drive removal on this series of laptop will generally take about ten to fifteen minutes.